With the hurricane season in full force here are some tips that will help protect you and your home from being affected should you be in a hurricane’s path.
- Make sure your gutters, storm drains and ditches are clear from debris and secured properly
- Clear any dead or damaged trees and tree limbs away from your home
- Protect your windows and doors (board up, storm shutters, deadbolts etc.)
- Remove or secure any loose items from your yard that could be picked up by the wind (umbrellas, chairs, etc.)
- Check your sump pump to make sure that it is functioning correctly
- Pull out your generator and start it up for a test run
- Have supplies such as flashlights, batteries, gas, water, and food on hand in case of a power outage
- If you are not able to stay in your home have an evacuation plan in place
Taking these precautionary measures may help reduce or prevent a catastrophe however damages may still occur to your property. In the unfortunate event that your home does sustain damages ServiceMaster South of the James is trained and qualified to provide the proper mitigation and repair services to your home. We can be reached 24 hours a day 7 days a week at 804-748-0716 for all your emergency and non-emergency needs.