What is Pink Mold?

Everyone is familiar with the molds especially black mold but what about Pink Mold?  Many people have never heard of or know the dangers of this mold. Pink mold is known as Aureobasidium and can be found both indoors and outdoors. Pink mold is a bacterial growth and is frequently found growing on damp surfaces, such as bathtubs and showers. Although these are the most common places pink mold is found it is not limited and can also be found on wallpaper, carpet and other surfaces.

Just like any mold, pink mold can cause a variety of health problems. Pink mold can cause allergic reactions such as hives and rashes, can cause inflammation and infections in the lungs leading to respiratory problems or may even cause bleeding in the lungs. With this being said anyone can be affected by mold and pink mold is not different.  But many do not know that pink mold can also affect your pets and make them become sick if ingested or exposed.

With all the dangers pink mold can cause it is important to locate the problem, remove and prevent. It can be a little difficult to completely wipe out this bacterial growth depending on the surface, but applying bleach will be the most helpful. When removing the mold yourself make sure you wear gloves and a mold-approved mask. Once you have the mold removed, sanitize the area with a biocide. By using this if there are any remaining spores it will ensure that they do not spread. To prevent pink mold from forming kept areas and surfaces dry from any moisture and build up.