A power strip can best be described as extra electrical sockets attached to the end of a power cord that plugs into a wall electrical receptacle. Power strips range in appearance from plastic to metal boxes, often accompanied by lit switches that indicate when the units are turned on.  Although helpful power strips can lead to fires if not properly use.  Below are some safety tips to keep in mind.


  1. Do not “daisy-chain or piggyback” (power strips that have been plugged into other power strips and/or extension cords). This may cause the strip, wall receptacle, or extension cord to become overloaded, resulting in failure or fire.
  2. Make sure the power strip has a stable base. Do not let a power strip hang from any structure or outlet.
  3. Do not route power strip cords through walls, ceilings, floors or similar openings;
  4. Overloading can become big danger, which may be result in electrocution or fire, and may be caused by the following:
    1. One wall receptacle serves multiple high-use power strips.
    2. High-voltage items that are not intended to be plugged into ancillary power sources. These would include such things as refrigerators, microwaves or space heaters.
  5. Power strip cords should be straight and never knotted while in use.
  6. Make sure the plug is inserted fully into the receptacle so that no part of the metal prongs are exposed.
  7. Discard any cord with melted, burned, exposed wires, cracks or otherwise damaged wires.
  8. If the power strip feels ever feels hot, unplug it immediately.
  9. Make sure the power strip is located in an area where there is plenty of air circulation to prevent overheating.
  10. Do not use in a wet or damp area.